Our district refers to these questions as Essentials of Effective Instruction, or EEI. It’s not a step by step program and it’s not a “new” initiative that replaces other projects. Instead, it’s simply a framework that helps us focus on the questions that matter most. They were compiled by the late Dave Blum, Director of Curriculum, who handled math and science for West Des Moines Community Schools. His primary resource was Classroom Instruction that Works, by Marzano, Pickering, and Pollock, ASCD, 2001.
1. How will my students know what they will be learning today?
* Don’t post today’s activity – instead post what is going to be learned.
* Teacher explicitly explains each day’s learning objective.
* Student are able to explain the learning objective.
2. What research based instructional strategies am I using today?
* Majority of classroom instruction is embedded in research based instruction
* Teachers use a variety of techniques to manage student responses
3. How will I ensure that my students are engaged in higher order thinking today?
* Using questions and directives that reflect higher levels of Bloom’s taxonomy.
* Students are engaged in tasks that require higher order thinking.
4. How will I connect today’s lesson to past and future learning?
* Students are able to connect their learning to past learning
* Students know how today’s lesson fits into the “big picture” of their learning.
5. How will I check for understanding today?
* frequent informal assessments guide and direct instruction.
* Assessment is used as a “transparent” part of instruction.
6. What will I do when students are already proficient in today’s lesson?
* Provide instruction based on what students know and don’t know.
* Alternative instruction for students who are already proficient.
7. What will I do when students did not learn during today’s lesson?
* DIfferentiation to help meet everyone’s needs.
* Provide alternative instruction for students who are not proficient..
What about Authentic Intellectual Work, or AIW, is that going away because of this?